McLean girls win Chain Bridge Cup

McSoccer+celebrates+after+scoring+their+third+goal.+The+goal+was+scored+by+sophomore+Kyra+Bolden.+

McSoccer celebrates after scoring their third goal. The goal was scored by sophomore Kyra Bolden.

Jeremy Siegel, Managing Editor

The McLean girls soccer team beat Langley High School for the eighth time in four years. The undefeated record against Langley for the current senior girls is nearly unprecedented among McLean teams. The girls team won 4-0, blowing Langley out of the water. 

“The game is always hyped up by the fans and the school,” said senior captain Kendall Robertson.

Robertson is a leader for the team on and off the field, playing in the crucial central-mid position. She is currently committed to Rice University for soccer, one of the leading programs in the country. As a captain, she feels that it is one of her duties to lead the relatively young team. 

“[We] hype them up a lot and try motivating them to go hard,” said Robertson. “Especially since we are a young team, we made sure to have a good practice the day before and a productive warm up before the game.”

Sophomore Kyra Bolden scored two goals for McLean in the 21st and 41st minutes. Her first goal kicked off the scoring frenzy on a penalty kick triggered by a trip inside the box. Her second goal, the third for the Highlanders, was within fourteen seconds of the second half starting. 

View the goal: here.

The team, though strong, is fairly young. A majority of the starting 11 players are underclassmen. This poses some challenges to the team, but also presents a bright future. 

“I think the future is looking good for McLean soccer,” said Robertson. “The freshmen and sophomores on the team are doing really well getting adjusted to high school soccer.”