A rockin’ St. Patrick’s Day

McLean High School hosts Shamrock Dance to get into spirit

Brooke Newell

The McLeadership students painted the rock to promote the upcoming dance.

Brooke Newell, Reporter

McLean has long struggled with school spirit. Saturday, March 16 from 8 p.m.-11 p.m., the leadership club is hosting a “Shamrock Dance” in hopes to solve this problem. Accompanied with the dance is a spirit week. Monday being workout gear, Tuesday is twin day, Wednesday western attire, Thursday throwbacks and Friday being to wear all green. Although not everyone will be attending the dance, a majority is excited for the spirit days.

“Cowboy day i think everyone can get super into that one,” senior Carrie Ludwig said.

There are those students who are ready to celebrate St. Patty’s Day in style. Students going are excited to see the decorations and enjoy a school dance, that is not as formal as prom or homecoming.

“I’m really glad the school is throwing the dance. There has been a good amount of attendance to events this year and I hope people show up to this too so that the school continues to throw winter dances in the future,”  senior leadership member Tori Lam said.

Some are not as interested in the Shamrock Dance. Whether it be because of the busy season nearing the end of the year, disinterest in raising school spirit, or looking at the financial situation near prom.

“To be honest I’m not the biggest fan of this dance mainly because of the timing. There’s a lot going on at McLean during these final weeks before spring break like McDance-A-Thon, FanFest, the play, and all these events on top of having a dance is a lot in my opinion,” senior leadership member Jisolu Awe said.

The dress code for this event is semi-formal. While some students, such as Lam, are choosing to stay on theme in green, there are no color restrictions.

“I’m probably going to wear a short strapless soft pink dress,” Awe said.