Offseason of Dreams

America's National Pastime provides yet another exciting offseason

Back to Article
Back to Article

Offseason of Dreams

Bryce Harper spent his first 7 seasons on the Washington Nationals. Following the 2018 season, Harper signed with the Philadelphia Phillies.

Photo obtained via Google Images under Creative Commons license

Nicky Varela, Reporter

With the recent start of the annual Spring Training, the Major League Baseball season has finally begun. Due to the many different roster changes and free agent signings, this season is sure to be one of the most exciting in years.

“I’m definitely excited for this upcoming season,” sophomore Matt Duval said. “I can’t wait to see which teams can contend for the World Series.”

For most of the offseason, MLB fans speculated over two things-where would superstars Bryce Harper and Manny Machado end up? Would they join a team who is trying to contend right now, or would they join a rebuilding team that they would help create success? And of course, how much money were they going to get? After months of waiting, fans were finally treated with answers.

On Feb 21, a shocking announcement rippled across the MLB. The lowly San Diego Padres, long since being relevant, had signed Machado to a huge and record-breaking contract for 10 years and 300 million. This deal broke Alex Rodriguez’s contract record of 10 years and 275 million with the New York Yankees in 2007.

Harper’s deal would prove to be even richer. On March 2nd, Harper signed an gigantic 13-year, 330 million dollar deal with the rival Phillies, which was met with a very harsh reaction from Washington fans and fans across the MLB.

“Yeah, I was definitely surprised,” said sophomore and Phillies fan Christian Carroll. “I’m really happy about it, though. I know how much of a stud he [Harper] is.”

No other division in baseball made more major transactions this past offseason than the National League East. The Phillies, obviously, added a superstar in Harper and one of the best catchers in baseball in J.T. Realmuto. The New York Mets added former superstar Robinson Cano. The Atlanta Braves inked former AL MVP Josh Donaldson. Lastly, our hometown Washington Nationals signed star pitcher Patrick Corbin for six years and added former All-Stars Yan Gomes and Brian Dozier. The race for the NL East could be a very close and exciting one this season

Coming off a World Series win and a team record 108 regular season wins, there really wasn’t much that the Boston Red Sox could’ve added to their already stacked roster. However, their archrival Yankees added lots of talent to fill the holes in their roster. Adding stud pitchers James Paxton and Zach Britton, along with second baseman DJ Lemahieu, the Yanks could certainly give Boston a run for its money in the 2019 season.

The four American professional sports leagues always have provided exciting regular seasons and usually exciting postseason. What football, basketball, and hockey fail to do, however, is have a noteworthy offseason with league-changing results. Unlike the other three leagues, the MLB always has an notable offseason, filled with many different and unexpected signings and trades. The 2018-2019 MLB offseason certainly did not disappoint, and will certainly deliver on the high expectations fans were promised.