Drake is no longer “far gone”

Hip Hop and R&B artist Drake releases 18 track album for 10th anniversary of his fame

Photo obtained from Wikipedia

Carla Ballard, A&E Editor

Who was Drake before he unintentionally entered the music industry? As our the popular majority of our generation knows, Drake’s fame all began dating back to his appearances as “Jimmy Brooks” on Teen Nicks Degrassi. In 2009 while he was still on the show, Drake dropped a mixtape titled So Far Gone with a couple of tracks he and his friends worked on with no intention of obtaining fame in just a few days of the albums release. 

Ten years later, Drake holds a important spot in Hip Hop/R&B history and stands being one of the most influential artists of the 2000’s. For the 10 year anniversary of “So Far Gone,” Drake released yet another mixtape with the same title with tracks off of his first mixtape alongside some new tracks featuring artists such as Trey Songz and Lil Wayne. 

Popularly known songs repeated on this album include “Best I Ever Had”, a song that will live in high school party playlist infamy. Drake keeps the emotional theme consistent with this album, through the reminiscing and nostalgic tones in songs such as “Lust for Life” and “Say Wha’ts Real.” Like every Drake album, there are a few tracks, each with an especially catchy chorus that will have you listening to the songs on repeat before your next big game like “Uproar” and “Ignorant Sh*t.” 

The album all together is a thoughtful and emotional recap (as expected from Drake) of Drake’s rise to fame; from Souja Boy disses to honoring his “heroes” like Jay-Z and Kanye West, all the way to his mindset and strive before his success in his song featuring Trey Songz, “Successful.” 

If you are a consistent fan of Drake’s music, or even if you are not, So Far Gone is a great reminder of how and why Drake stands as one of today’s most recognized music artists. 

Final Verdict: B