Sweet valentines from The Tartan

The Literary Magazine sells candy grams for Valentine’s Day

Katie Romhilt

Tartan Literary Magazine makes a poster to promote their candy grams. They sold the candy grams for $2 each.

Skye Sunderhauf, Reporter

It’s Valentine’s day!! Today, tons of Americans spend time with their significant other and give them chocolate and other gifts. Whether or not you have an actual valentine this Thursday, today is always a fun day to show people love.

This year, The Tartan Literary Magazine has decided to sell candy grams. These candy grams have been on sale for $2 in the cafeteria during all lunches for the past week. The money made from the sales goes to the Literary Magazine, so it’s a great way to support the student publication while also getting presents for people.

Members of the magazine passed out the candy grams this morning. They included a cute card and a lollipop. Even though it isn’t a lot, it’s a nice way to show friends you care about them and everyone likes lollipops, so the candy grams are a cute, simple idea for a gift.

“I want to give me friends something on Valentine’s Day, so these candy grams are cheap and fun to give,” sophomore Heran Essayas said.

Along with The Literary Magazine, The McLean Choir also sells valentines. The choir performs singing valentines to students and teachers at McLean for $5 each.

The singing valentines can be embarrassing for the people being sung to, so mostly friends pay for friends to get them. The new candy grams are more normal, so it is easier to give them to a friend or lover without causing them awkwardness.

Besides the candy grams and singing valentines, the rest of the school has also been in the Valentine’s Day spirit. For example, Principal Reilly and other faculty members gave out candy to all the students when the school day ended.

McLean had a fun, sweet Valentine’s Day this Thursday, which put a good mood over the school after the lack of snow days and beginning of third quarter.