Off-season work proves record

JV baseball player Ryan Sim lifts in the offseason to help his team

+Sophomore+Ryan+Sim+pulls+down+the+bar+on+the+lateral+pulldown+machine+last+Monday.+It+is+Sim%E2%80%99s+favorite+machine.%28Photo+by+Jake+Lynes%29

Sophomore Ryan Sim pulls down the bar on the lateral pulldown machine last Monday. It is Sim’s favorite machine.(Photo by Jake Lynes)

Jake Lynes, Reporter

In Ryan Sim’s ninth grade year, he walked into the weight room with fear and nerves, but with assurance of his baseball skills going through the roof. After the first couple days, he felt comfortable with the weight room, the machines, the coaches and the environment around him. Sim was amazed when he came back to the weight room this year and saw the new remodeling.

“It was a major upgrade with more space and better machines and I love it,” Sim said.

Since then, he has been in the weight room whenever possible. His favorite exercises are to bench and do lateral pull downs. Benching helps strengthen his pectorals and lateral pull downs work on his back muscles.

“Our players lift now and in the off-season so our team can be successful, get harder hits, throw harder and get faster,” Sim said.

Sim and his other freshman teammates lifted in the off-season last year each opportunity they got. It helped their 12-2 record. The sophomores last year were always in the weight room, helping Sim and his companions to get the best form with bigger weights and motivation.

“He is always dripped in sweat when I come to pick him up,” said his mother, Lynn Sim.

Sim leaves lifting around 4:00 and, his mother almost always picks him up. He is tired, out of breath when he enters the car.

“He does his very best to have his team’s needs in front of his,” Lynn Sim said.

Sim helps out his team as much as possible. His teammates are happy to have him on the team.

“He is a great role model and helps everyone else before himself,” sophomore Spencer Zamagni said.

Zamagni is Sim’s weightlifting friend, as it’s always best to lift with someone. Sim always encourages him to do his very best in the weight room.

“Ryan is an amazing teammate and definitely shows it in the weight room,” Zamagni said.