New face welcomed in green hall

Melissa DuLuc replaces Judith Bott as the Spanish 4 and AP teacher

Katie Romhilt

DuLuc welcomes her Spanish students back from their snow day

Katie Romhilt, Reporter

The first day of the new year is greeted with a new Spanish teacher, Melissa DuLuc, joining the McLean staff. She is the long-term replacement for long-time Spanish 4 and AP teacher, Judith Bott.

“I grew up speaking Spanish in my household because my parents are from the Dominican Republic,” DuLuc said. “Then when I started learning French, I realized it was probably good to also have the degree in Spanish under my belt as well.”

DuLuc earned her bachelor’s degree in English and French from SUNY Cortland in New York and later received a master’s degree in French and Spanish from George Mason.

“Actually no [I didn’t know I wanted to be a Spanish teacher],” DuLuc said. “I thought I wanted to go into translation, and then I did a long term sub position teaching Spanish at another school in Prince William County, and I fell in love with it. I love the relationship built with the kids, and seeing them excited to learn a new language is a big passion of mine.”

DuLuc joined the McLean staff after Bott retired as Spanish 4 and AP Spanish teacher. 

“When I came here the kids were extremely friendly; I was so impressed,” DuLuc said. “Sometimes having a teacher come in the middle of the year, you would think the transition would be a little bit difficult, but the kids have really made me feel super welcome. And the teachers and staff, everyone is just extremely nice and helpful around here.”

Joining the McLean teaching staff in the middle of the school year is no easy task. DuLuc spent the first few classes doing activities with her students to get to know them personally and their level of Spanish. However, once she established their Spanish level, the classes resumed their pace from the beginning of the year.

“I would love to stay [at McLean] if it’s possible,” DuLuc said. “I think the school is great and the staff has been extremely encouraging and helpful with the transition of coming in January. If there were an opportunity, I would definitely want to stay here.”