McLean makes a splash

McLean and Langley go head to head on Friday’s swim meet

Lianne Garrahan

McLean swimmers jump in ready to complete warm-ups for the meet. Swimmers were excited to compete.

Dana Edson, News Editor

The McLean and Langley rivalry has been around for years and has become one of the most exciting traditions at both schools.

McLean’s swim meet against Langley took place last Friday, Dec. 15 at Spring Hill Recreation Center. Unfortunately many club swimmers were unable to attend due to a club meet that same night. Despite the lack of attendance, McLean did not let it hold them back.

After a devastating loss during last years meet for both boys and girls,  boys lost 111-203, while girls lost 139.5-183.5. This year McLean swimmers were hungry to redeem themselves from the sizable loss last year.

“We were missing five of our best girl swimmers so [Coach Drake] was nervous about that,” sophomore Lianne Garrahan said.

Ultimately McLean girls were able to secure a win for McLean 168-137, sadly boys loss a close 175-140.

“Our coach was really happy because [the] weren’t expected to win cause they’ve beaten us a lot in the past,” Garrahan said.

McLean girls team were able to take home first place is more than half of the races. They were even able to place a first and second finish in the 100 freestyle which hasn’t been done for a long time against Langley.

Despite the loss,the majority of the boys posted some of their best times during the meet. Freshman Ryan Sribar earned a Regional Qualifying time in the 100 Free.

Although not everyone received the results they had hoped for, it was a successful meet overall.

“[Coach Drake] was really happy because we weren’t expected to win cause they’ve beaten us a lot in the past,” Garrahan said.