Sophomore takes a trip to less stress

Students take summer camping trips which reduces their stress

Dua Mobin, Reporter

Sophomore Chaz Litt took a camping trip this past summer where he lived outdoors for over two months during which he traveled to Camp Wool, Yellowstone National Park and Green Teton National Park. The trip consisted of hikes, backpacking trips, touring sites and rifle shooting.

“It was a trip that was divided into three segments. We went to Camp Wool which is a boy scout camp sandwiched right between Yellowstone and Green Teton, and the first day was a planning day to get all of our [equipment] ready and the next four days were a backpacking trip,” Litt said.

The group created new memories exploring scenic routes and observing mountains and valleys. The most memorable was participating in a 30-mile off-trail hike.

“We got to go to an amazing backpacking trip with no trails in which we just walked up a mountain,” Litt said, “We [hiked] one of the lower Teton mountains and it was at a 45 degree angle.”

Despite the physical brute needed for this journey, Litt feels that it was worth it. He was able to accomplish a once in a life time opportunity by fully immersing himself in the great outdoors.

Off-trail views-The picture taken by Chaz Litt depicts the beautiful views he encountered during one of his hikes.

“There’s snow on top [of the mountains] and you get this beautiful view. I would say it was the highlight of my trip. It was absolutely gorgeous from up there. You could see about 80 to 100 miles around,” Litt said.

For such a daunting journey, the trip was unplanned. A former trip was cancelled which led the destinations visited to be random and planned on short notice.

“This was a backup trip that we came up with in a week and a half, so we didn’t really choose it. I didn’t know what was going on until two days before [the trip],” Litt said

From the experiences that Litt obtained from the 3000 miles of hiking that he has completed, he believes that it has inspired him to appreciate nature more. He also believes that it serves to reduce stress as he was exposed to new environments and encounter new aspects of nature. Many people are driven to achieve their ambitions in society that they forget to take the time to spend in nature.

“Mountain air, pines, especially country sides. There’s actually a chemical compound released from pines that helps you relax,” Litt said.

With the cities nearby, many do not realize how much of an impact hiking and going on backpacking trips helps reduce stress and provides a change of environment. Additionally, many people do not have the time to go outdoors because they are too involved in their day-to-day activities.

“We live in a city area, ” Litt said. “It is Virginia after all and we need to get more than we are now.”

Mid-trail Waterfalls- Chaz Litt visited many waterfalls that could only be reached through hikes. Photo taken by Chaz Litt.