Highlanders beaten by Saxons to finish season

McLean varsity football concluded their season last Friday following a loss to rivals Langley.

Fans+left+the+Highlander+logo+on+the+wet+blacktop+next+to+the+field.+It+was+assembled+using+free+game-distributed+towels+thrown+into+the+stands.+

Ben Brooks

Fans left the Highlander logo on the wet blacktop next to the field. It was assembled using free game-distributed towels thrown into the stands.

Jack Shields, Sports Editor

Despite the disappointing outcome of the final football game of the season, the Highlanders created a memory that will be iconic of the 2018 football season in years to come; at least among the faithful Highlander fans that stayed for the entirety of Friday night’s game against Langley.

The game ended 26-0 in favor of the Langley Saxons, sealing another winless Highlander season, making it two years since the red and white last saw a win. All four Langley touchdowns were scored by running back Tre Vasiliadis. However, the disappointing events on the field weren’t what made the Highlanders’ night special.

Rain had been forecasted well before Friday night, so supporters came prepared decked out in rain jackets and heavy coats. The initial rain faded towards the end of the first quarter, but returned late in the fourth quarter stronger than before.

“I was pretty happy about the rain at the end of the game because it was a warm night and the rain felt refreshing. It was also pretty cool to have my last game end with such crazy weather,” senior football player David Onyejekwe said.

A torrential downpour engulfed Langley high school, and wind whipped around as if the air itself were cracking from the cold. The harsh rain scared away all of the Langley supporters, but yet in the away stands Highlander parents and students only had their morales boosted by the brutal weather conditions, cheering even louder for their struggling team.

Though the outcome of the game significantly disappointed the players and coaches alike, they had nothing but praise for their faithful supporters.

“When the fans started cheering louder during the rain, the whole team got more excited and made the last few minutes of the game much more fun,” Onyejekwe said.

McLean varsity football has failed to win a game two seasons in a row. But somehow, despite the frustrating scorelines school spirit has continued to thrive in the McLean bleachers. The Highlanders might not win football games, but they continue to win the everlasting support of their student body and fans.