NBA season begins

Everyone’s favorite basketball teams are back in session

The Wizards have many difficult games in their schedule this year, and one matchup many are awaiting is when thery will play against the  Raptors. Pictured above is an attempted block by Ian Mahinmi on Raptors player Lucas Nogueira's dunk when they played on the 2nd of April, 2018. Photo via Flickr

The Wizards have many difficult games in their schedule this year, and one matchup many are awaiting is when thery will play against the Raptors. Pictured above is an attempted block by Ian Mahinmi on Raptors player Lucas Nogueira's dunk when they played on the 2nd of April, 2018. Photo via Flickr

Photo obtained via KeithAllisonPhoto.com on Flickr under a Creative Commons license

Eren Parla, Online News Editor

On Oct. 16, the long awaited NBA season has finally begun with the first matches being the Celtics-Sixers match up (which the Celtics won by 18 points) alongside the Warriors-Thunder game (which the Warriors won by 8 points).

Although it’s only been a matter of days since the current 18/19 NBA season has started, many of the games had viewers hanging on to the edges of their seats.

“I watched the Philadelphia 76ers-Orlando Magic game that was this Saturday,” sophomore Ahmed Yassir said. “Even though the Magic aren’t the best team out there, they played a great game that went down to the wire.”

In that same game Yassir mentioned, Sixers players JJ Reddick and Joel Embiid had incredible performances with Reddick scoring 8 of 11 three pointers, going a total 10/20 from the field with 31 points, and Embiid going for 3 of 5 three pointers and a total of 32 points.

The league also looks to be much more competitive as this week the Milwaukee Bucks played the Toronto Raptors, and before the game they were both undefeated but now the Bucks are the only team in the league currently that are undefeated with a record standing at 7-0.

Close games like the Sixers-Magic game or competitive matchups like the Raptors-Bucks game seem to be a commonality currently, as even superstar Lebron James’ debut with his new Lakers team was spoiled by Damian Lillard’s performance. This has created hope among some NBA fans for a much more competitive league compared to the same Cavaliers-Warriors dominance of the past couple of years.

“I feel like the league will be a lot more competitive this year,” junior Rick Chatterjee said. “With all of the improvements every team has made, it looks like it’s gonna be a good year to watch NBA basketball.”