Fashion club making a statement on the McLean runway

Members of fashion club dish on how their club allows them to express themselves.

Grace Gould, Reporter

A love of fashion and a creative will to learn makes the perfect recipe for a fashion club member.  Meeting once to twice a month on Thursdays, the fashion club allows students to let their originality shine.

Sponsored by The Fashion Institute of Design and Marketing (FIDM), fashion club participates in a variety of activities from fundraising, to field trips, to making over worn out outfits.  

One of the central points of the fashion club is the focus that it puts on revamping old clothes.  Students can make a variety of items from worn clothes including “DIY ripped jeans.” On Thursday Sept. 28, the club tie dyed old shirts, turning them into unique pieces of art.

“My favorite part of fashion club is the DIY sessions, because I get to express myself,” said sophomore Serena Wang, president of the fashion club.  

The club fundraises for a variety of activities through bake sales, including field trips, and DIY sessions.

“I like doing the bake sales. I think they really help our club,” sophomore and co president Fiona Kilcoyne said.

Last year the club took a trip to CustomInk to design and see the company produce the shirts they made to show their love for the fashion industry.  Every year, the club plans to design new shirts so that they can be creative and switch things up in keeping with ever-changing fashion trends.

“It was really cool, the kids got to watch them [CustomInk] make the shirts right in front of them,” co founder and sponsor Debra Fargo said.

Not only does fashion club give its members new experiences and chances to have lots of fun, it also provides students with an opportunity for a college scholarship.  FIDM offers its members scholarships where they can turn their love of fashion into a career.

I would recommend [club members] have an interest in the fashion industry, creating their own fashion items, meeting others to socialize and learn about making fashion statements for themselves,” Fargo said.

Heading into its sophomore year, the fashion club is expanding, gathering new members with a shared love of creativity through clothes.  Students interested in joining can head over to Fargo’s classroom, S126, on Thursdays to unleash a passion for fashion.