McLean Highlanders on the Run

Highlander on the Run is an important part of McLean High school Community

Andy Chung, Reporter

Highlanders on the Run starts in spring season for special need students. Anyone can join by going to language pathologist Debra Opalesky office.  Opalesky started Highlanders on the Run over 13 years ago.

“It was for girls that are in the special needs program, but now it’s for boys and girls,”  Opalesky said.

Opalesky wants students to be “buddy runners” with the special need students to help them out.

Student participation has increased over the years. They meet every Thursday in the tracks due to late buses.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              “I want it to be every day but we don’t have late busses on any other days than Thursday”  Opalesky said. There are 15 kids in Highlanders on run running every thursday in the tracks.

Last year Debra Opalesky and Highlanders on the Run learned how to pace themselves.  Highlander on the Run is an important part of McLean High School because

“ McLean have a low incidence special education system and to have access to athletics program like the general populations”, Debra Opalesky said.

There’s no funding for this club. “You only need running shoes and a track to run,” Opalesky said.