Highlanders celebrate Ally Week

Student and faculty come together to show their support for the LGBTQ+ community.

McLean faculty and students show their support for GSA and Ally Week. (Photo taken by Anna Grace Hopkins)

AnnaGrace Hopkins and Anya Chen

Teachers and students at McLean High gathered in the Blue Hall last Thursday for a photo in support of Ally Week, sponsored by the Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA).

“Ally week is a national campaign done by GLSEN, an LGBTQ+ high school non-profit group,” GSA sponsor Seth LeBlanc said.

GLSEN, which stands for the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, is a national education organization whose mission is to create a safe space for all students, regardless of their gender or sexual orientation.

“We were in contact with GLSEN,” LeBlanc said. “We got materials from them and discussed our personal experiences.”

Ally Week took place from Sept. 24 to 28, and the GSA has been preparing for it. Students and teachers were given stickers with various messages such as “#MyAllies” and “Use my pronouns” to wear for the photo.

“It’s about bringing people together and just saying we support this community,” LeBlanc said. “That’s all it’s about—outreach and support.”

While a main goal for Ally Week was to show support for LGBTQ+ students, the GSA also wanted to spread the news that it is a club open to everyone—no matter how they identify.

“We are trying to draw in more straight allies to join the club, which is our primary focus for Ally Week,” LeBlanc said. “It’s about representation and letting kids who might not feel that people support them know that there are all of these people that do support them and their lifestyle.”

If you’re looking to participate in more activities like Ally Week, attend a GSA meeting to learn more.

“The GSA meets every Thursday after school in B167,” GSA co-president KC Taylor said. “You can also check out the McLean GSA Instagram, Snapchat, and Google Classroom.”

• Instagram: @mcleangsa
  • Snapchat: @mcleangsa