McLean attends the Cappies Gala

Another successful year for the theater department.

Margaret Waagner

Abby Comey receiving award for best comedic actress, for her work in the musical 9-5.

Julia McElligott, Reporter

On June 10 members of the McLean theater department attended the Cappies Gala at The Kennedy Center.

The Cappies Awards recognize and celebrate excellence in high school theatre and journalism. Student critics from 60 high schools in the National Capital Area Cappies Chapter reviewed plays and musicals throughout the DC, Virginia, and Maryland area and voted for best performances.

“ Cappies is a completely student-driven program that allows critics from each school to go see theatre production all around the DMV, ” Phillip Reid, theater director, said.

This year the Cappies was hosted by McLean’s very own theater director Mr. Reid.

“ It’s really cool it’s a lot of fun. It’s a really big evening and a really big event, ” said Reid

A lot of work is put in by students all over the counties and the gala is a large event for them to be recognized for their efforts. There are over 2000 students who fill the concert hall to watch the Cappies presented and see the performances by the winning musical and play.

“ Our critic’s team has done really well the past 10 years, our team itself has won 10 years in a row for the best team and last night we won again,” said Reid.

This year’s other awards are Kristen Waagner, and Ashley Winegarden for best choreography in 9-5 the musical, Abby Comey for best comedic actress in 9-5 the musical, and Katherine Kelly for best-returning critic.

“Winning this award means so much to me. Since last year, when I joined the Cappies ream, I have worked incredibly hard to improve my writing. I truly feel that all my work has paid off, and I can’t wait to keep improving in the future “ Junior Katherine Kelly said.

Whether you are a part of the critic team of not, you play a huge role at the end of year Gala. All your hard work during the year allows you and your pears the opportunity to be awarded for a Cappie.

“On Cappies night around 50 or more critics come and see our show and it’s one of the best nights because everyone always puts in their all and were extremely motivate to she the critics what we can do.” Junior Ruby Larimer said.