Weather affects prom plans for students

McLean students worry that the stormy weather may ruin prom day.

Jane Lee, Reporter

Prom is finally just around the corner. Students have been planning and preparing for the big day for months, and their excitement only grew as they discussed with their peers who to invite into their groups, what they will be wearing, where to take pictures, and much more.

The standard course for prom day involves taking group photos in the early afternoon. Most students plan to take these pictures in front of the monuments in Washington D.C., and over the years, it has almost become tradition. However, this year, students worry that their plans may be ruined by the weather.

“I was really hoping to take some pictures at D.C. [My older brother] and my upperclassmen friends have all done so, so I had planned to do the same. But because of the storm, it seems I might not be able to,” Senior Heejung Kim said.

Recently, the weather in McLean has been bipolar. There have been days where the weather was delightful with plenty of sunshine and clear blue skies. However, there have also been days where sudden showers would pour from the dark-gray clouds.

This past week, starting with the tornado warning on Monday, there has been constant rain and thunder. Weather apps forecast another storm on the day of prom, May 19.

Students have been continuously refreshing the weather pages on their phones and laptops with the hope that the forecast may change.

“I’m so upset there’s a storm on the day of our senior prom. Literally, it can rain any other day,” senior Tammy Yin said.

By this time, many students have accepted that there will not be favorable weather for prom this Saturday. However, they have been forced to alter their plans they had made and adhered to months ago. Some students plan to take pictures indoors instead, while others have given up on group photos all together. Still, some are completely unsure of what to do.

“My group doesn’t have a plan anymore because of the weather. It’s disappointing because everything had been prepared. Now we have to move things around — and quickly, too — to figure out what to do for prom,” Yin said.