Satire: McLean journalists help end childhood obesity

The cupcake challenge that is sweeping the nation

The wrappers of change

Ryan Dahlseid, Reporter

On April Fourth, Two-Thousand Eighteen, two McLean High School journalism students  embarked on a mission of which the consequences were unknown. The students were juniors, Nick “Nickywings” Monroy, and Maria “Savage” McHugo.  The mission was to complete the ‘Cupcake Challenge,’ as it was dubbed later by fellow journalism student Maren Kranking. The challenge was to complete an entire box of miniature cupcakes in ten minutes. The cupcakes were provided by Julia McElligott in order to celebrate Kranking’s birthday. Little did anyone know the cupcakes would start a movement. Monroy and McHugo had each eaten six miniature cupcakes before taking on the challenge, and this made it all the more difficult. Nevertheless, they completed the challenge in the allotted time. I am honored to have had the opportunity to interview both McHugo and Monroy after their momentous triumph.

Ryan Dahlseid: How does it feel to start the next viral trend on the internet?

Maria McHugo: It feels good to be a part of something that big while eating something so small.

RD: You are currently the next inspiration for the youngest generation right now. How do you change your lifestyle knowing that you are now a role model for the youth?

Nick Monroy: Well, God creates all of his children imperfect. I just gotta keep striving to be the best person that I can be, if that means eating more cupcakes, then that’s what I gotta do.

RD: What was your mindset going into this challenge? And how has it changed now that you have completed the challenge?

MM: When I was head-on, going into the challenge, I think I was taking more of a comedic standpoint. You know, sort of ‘Hey, I’m not actually going to finish all these cupcakes, but I might as well try,’ you know. As I was going through it, I was like ‘I think… I think we can do this.’ Now I am feeling triumphant, I’m feeling victorious, (That’s (Victorious) a good show), I feel like I’ve checked a new box.

NM: You know, we had a great week of practice. Coach really helped us with film, and we came in with the mindset to never underestimate an opponent. When we went in there, our prep showed, and we ended up coming out with the win.

RD: I noticed you guys are wearing the same uniform, (they were both wearing Hawaiian shirts), was that planned?

NM: It was planned. It’s always nice to show unity, to show teamwork, and when we’re going into challenges like this, we expect to stand together.

RD: Many challenges like the ice bucket challenge and the tide pod challenge have deeper meanings. What is your cause?

NM: Our main inspiration is derived from our former first lady. Michelle Obama and he campaign to end childhood obesity.  We are trying to raise awareness for childhood obesity. I am eating their cupcakes. I am suffering so that they don’t have to.

RD: I love it. Thank you very much for your time. You both are an inspiration. Good luck to both of you in your mission.

So as it had been said, the purpose of the cupcake challenge is to raise awareness and help end childhood obesity. I invite you to undertake this challenge. Finish the challenge, document it, and challenge your friends. Together, we can end childhood obesity.

#cupcakechallenge