Highlanders in a holidaze

Students at McLean show little enthusiasm for the upcoming holidays

Carla Ballard, Reporter

There are indeed, two types of people in this world when it comes to the upcoming holiday season. Those who whip out the ugly Christmas sweaters as soon as Halloween commences, and, of course, those who aggressively yell at the radio as it begins to stream our favorite holiday music as early as Thanksgiving day.

If you’re asking me, I write my next Christmas list as SOON as Nov. 1st comes around. Holiday spirit is my middle name, and gladly I am not the only one at McLean who shares a love for Christmas. However, spirited students such as myself have noticed a drastic lack in holiday spirit at McLean, and believe it is time to change that.

“I think we need to get some more holiday spirit here at McLean High School,” junior Paige Pilewski said. “Everyone could dress up as Santa, or a reindeer, or in their favorite Christmas pajamas!”

For the past two years that I have spent at McLean, the amount of holiday spirit I have seen is just straight disappointing. If I were to make an estimated guess, I think I might have seen a total of six people per year getting very excited about Christmas, or whichever holiday they celebrate coming up.

“It varies from person to person; some people are bomb at celebrating Christmas,and some people just lack the skills necessary,” junior Jane Anne Tvedt said.

A lot of people could argue that age plays a major role in the amount of Christmas spirit each individual has. Sure, as you get older you receive less presents, you may or not believe in Santa anymore, or maybe the old Christmas movies you saw as a kid are getting tiring. The age concept is utter ludicrous, in my opinion.

“I think it’s personality, some people are more into displaying their spirit, but some people can get jaded as they get older,” history teacher Emer Johnson said.

To me, spirit, whether it be christmas spirit, or even school spirit, is a quality that we choose to have regardless our age or gender.

“When I was younger I was more excited about Santa coming on Christmas eve, but now that I am older I look forward to doing other things like secret Santa with my friends… but it is not the same,” Pilewski said.

The lack in holiday spirit ends now. Highlanders who love Christmas have come up with wonderful ideas such as playing Christmas music in the halls, wearing holiday hats to school, or even a holiday spirit week; how fun and enlightening would that be? However the greatest advice to you as we sleigh ride into December would be…

“Wear more Christmas sweaters!” sophomore Jacques Vaughn said.