Best Buddies Friendship Walk comes to D.C.

Obtained via Creative Commons

Colin Edson, Editor-in-Chief

The Best Buddies Friendship Walk will be coming to D.C., at the National Mall, at 8:00 a.m. this Saturday. The walk is the number one walk in the United States that raises money and awareness for the to help people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Currently, it has raised just under $320,000, or 86% of its goal.

Best Buddies International is the largest organization in the world “dedicated to ending the social, physical and economic isolation of the 200 million people with intellectual and developmental disabilities”, per the Best Buddies Website.

The organization even helps people with IDD secure jobs to help them support themselves. On the smaller scale, the Best Buddies programs at schools nationwide, give students with IDD a buddy – or student volunteer – to spend time with, at and out of school.

“I like the Best Buddies because it helps those who are different become more integrated into the school community,” said senior Kaela Moskowitz, who is a buddy at McLean.

The walk is an event that many students in the Best Buddies program at McLean are looking forward to. They will be able to see how people all over the Capital Region are working for the same cause and have their support seen at a much larger level.

“I think the walk is a great idea because it makes all of the best buddy communities from other schools come together and work together towards the same goal,” Moskowitz said.

On Saturday morning at 8:15, the opening ceremony will begin with the start of the walk following shortly after at 8:45. The event will also include a pizza and dance party and will conclude at 12 p.m..

“We try to encourage as many buddies as possible to go to the walk and try to get a bigger turnout this year,” Multiple Disabilities Teacher Jessica Berns said. “I really hope we get more people this year because it does seem like a cool event.”

The Best Buddies program has been at McLean since 2011 and the main purpose is to help students with disabilities make friends with general ed students in the school. The group meets once a month for get-togethers. The first event of the year was the tailgate before the varsity football game on Oct. 6.

With the walk coming up, Best Buddies at McLean is looking to get as many people as possible to go to the walk on Oct. 8 as it will help a cause many students feel strongly about at the school. Registration is required, but there is no minimum fundraising requirement needed to attend the walk.

Register here: Best Buddies Friendship Walk Capital Region