JV field hockey finishes season

The team wraps up the season with a 3-2-8 record

McLean field hockey celebrates a great season with red and white balloons on Senior Night on Oct. 10. (Photo by Emily Jackson)

Emily Jackson, Reporter

Caroline Cochrane-Braswell coaches the JV field hockey team. Braswell has four years of coaching experience and said she would pick JV as her favorite level to instruct. “I like to see how much the girls improve over the course of the season, because they played their freshman year…so they have their basic skills down,” Braswell said. Field hockey players dedicate themselves each day at practice and put in large amounts of effort. Last year, the freshman team won zero games, so a 3-2-8 is a large increase with many of the same players. Their improvement is due to this effort and their mentors. “I think the coaching staff is really good,” Braswell said. The team members would also agree that the coaches are a vital source in their development as players. “[The coaches] help us improve on skills, and they inspire us to be better players,” sophomore Maya Pandey said. However, with every good thing in life comes challenges, and one of those for this team is simply making sure everyone is present. “It’s hard for everybody to figure out how to balance everything…the biggest challenge is making sure everybody’s there at practice and they don’t have other commitments going on,” Braswell said. The JV field hockey team wrapped up the season with two home games with Senior Night on Oct. 10 against Herndon, and Oct. 11 against Washington-Lee. “Senior Night is a big event for the whole program,” Braswell said.