Girls code for success

Newly formed Girls Who Code Club at McLean hopes to inspire girls’ futures

Dana Edson, Reporter

In its second year at McLean, Girls Who Code members are looking to expand their presence in the school and to influence their community.

Two former seniors approached info and tech teacher, Karyn Kolly and showed interested in starting a Girls Who Code Club, a nonprofit organization that encourages girls to explore the fields of computer science. This nonprofit group provides the club with a curriculum and provides the sponsor with a training course to help guide the program.

“I was excited to be a sponsor because Girls Who Code is a great nonprofit organization that encourages girls to get involved in computer science in a fun way. I believe that many students can benefit from making friendships, building good relationships, and by learning about technology and programming in an exciting environment,” Girls Who Code sponsor Karyn Kolly said.

After just one meeting, Girls Who Code has received positive feedback from many students who hope to excel in the program.

“All meetings start with a fun icebreaker and game. The girls then research a woman in programming technology, such as women in the art and medical fields,” Kolly said.

This club aims to give girls the confidence to pursue their career goals in technology.

“Computer science is used across a variety of careers today. This program is great because it is dedicated to girls’ interest and introduces them to a variety of career opportunities. I joined because I was interested in computer science and inspired by the founder of Girls Who Code and my dad because he pushed me into the engineering field,” said junior Anna Nguyen, co-president of Girls Who Code.

Girls Who Code is not only a club, but a lifelong program that allows girls to pursue their goals in technology. Girls who are interested can get involved by attending a meeting every other Thursday in room S128. The next meeting will be held on Oct.12.

“Everyone is welcome to attend. We are always excited to have new members,” Kolly said.