Sporting gets academic equivalent     

It’s Academic club prepares for a competitive season

Jeff Brocketti

McLean students compete at last year’s state tournament. (Photo courtesy of Jeffrey Brocketti)

Tessa Hager, Reporter

The It’s Academic Club, also know as the quiz bowl team, began its 2017 season with a second place finish at the Virginia Tech Fall Kickoff tournament in September, qualifying them for the NAQT Nationals in Atlanta in May 2018. They travel and compete in tournaments, playing trivia against various high school teams in the region and country.

‘’Anyone who likes to play and answer trivia would be interested in this club,’’ quiz bowl sponsor Jeffrey Brocketti said.

The team goes to various tournaments around the region to practice and improve. They meet Monday mornings before school and on Wednesday afternoons.

“You come to as many or as few meetings as you want, but if you’re serious about getting on the TV team and going to larger tournaments you’ll want to commit yourself like any other sport or activity. But if you just want to come and play some trivia, have some fun and be part of a team, there are no specific requirements,’’ Brocketti said.

The club is competitions including Virginia High School League tournaments, consisting of the regional tournament and the super regional tournament in January and February if they advance in the competition. They will also be on an upcoming televised competition.

“On NBC 4 in November, we will be taping for television against two other quiz bowl teams and I think we have a pretty good chance of winning. Once you win you advance into the playoffs and then if you win in the playoffs you advance to the championship round,’’ Brocketti said.

To prepare for quiz bowl’s fast-paced games, the team practices by reading each other questions. Sometimes they will bring someone in to teach the team about certain topics.  

“The expectation is that you participate as much as you can. There’s no requirement as in number of practices or number of tournaments you have to attend, but when you’re here try your best and have fun,” Brocketti said.

The club has grown significantly since several years ago. The first four to five years Brocketti was sponsoring, they had trouble getting enough people just to fill the team. It was a constant struggle because many of the students who joined were seniors who would come and go as they graduated high school. They soon started getting more sophomores and juniors to join.

“For the past couple of years we have grown into a full team, many who join early and stay for the four years that they are in high school,” Brocketti said.

For people who aren’t as athletically inclined, having a source of competition has a positive impact on the school.

“We have a football team, we have a baseball team, we have a band, we also have a quiz bowl team. When it comes to competition it is important to have academic competition along with other competitions. It is a good balance that high school should have,” Brocketti said.