Varsity boys golf players compete at regionals

Highlanders fall short at regionals to qualify for states

Senior Tommy Schilder watches his shot (Photo courtesy of Tommy Schilder)

Emma Johnson, Reporter

Three boys varsity golf players competed in regionals this week. Held Tuesday, Oct. 3rd and Wednesday, Oct. 4th at Dominion Valley Country Club in Haymarket, Virginia, seniors Hunter Jewett and Tommy Schilder and sophomore Jonathan Zhou played 18 holes a day, competing to qualify for States.

“There were six teams and 18 individuals in the Tournament and they kept your two day score,” varsity golf coach Rick Eyerly said. “The cut line for State Tournament was a 152, a two day score- so you had to shoot a 76-76 first day second day to get that 152. In 18 holes, par is like 72, so that’s what you want to score, par, and 76 is like four over par, so that’s like four bogeys the first day and four bogeys the second day.”

Jewett finished with a seven over par at 79 the second day, bringing him to a tie for 20th place out of 60 kids and his two day score to a 156.

“I missed the cut by four shots to make it to states,” Jewett said.

Meanwhile, Zhou started the tournament well, shooting 76 the first day, putting him in good position to make states. The second day did not help him, though, as he shot an 81 where he needed another 76 to qualify.

“I didn’t give myself a chance because I started very poorly [the second day]. It is frustrating because I did the same thing last year, shooting 75 and then 80,” Zhou said.

As for Schilder, he struggled with a two day score of +41.

“All in all, regionals was very fun,” Zhou said. “This was another great experience at regionals.”

After having a rough start, the Highlanders started to recover themselves, yet it wasn’t enough to advance to states.

“It was a fun two days with my two other teammates, Tommy and Jonathan, being there and also coach Eyerly being there to watch me,” Jewett said.