Muslim women persevere through adversity

Students talk about what it’s like to be a Muslim woman today

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons

Miranda Johnson, Reporter

Present day Muslims are constantly facing an increasing amount of adversity as they are accused of many horrific events across the world. Though they aren’t always the cause, the amount of hate crimes and anti-Muslim efforts against them have also increased drastically.

“I hate that Muslims get targeted nowadays,” senior Mariam Sarver said. “Muslims aren’t the cause of all of the bad groups in the world.”

The election of President Trump has also been a reason for an increase in targeting muslims.

“Trump is an interesting topic, with what just happened in Afghanistan, I’m so astonished,” Sarver said. “He had been acting like he owns the world and no one else is important but him.”

Even though  muslims have executed some tragic events in the past such as 9/11, the majority of muslims across the world have not done anything wrong and have been nothing but peaceful. For this reason, it is unfair to those muslims that their entire religion and culture be criticized.  Muslim women also experience the most oppression according to Sarver.

“Muslim women especially get hate on their hijabs, and it’s rude in general for people to comment or say disturbing things about your religion.” Sarver said.

The hijab, or headscarf that muslim women wear is the most obvious giveaway to their religion, and while a lot of women receive a lot of backlash for it, Sarver wears it proudly to represent her religion.

“I honestly love it. I feel like I’m able to represent Islam with my hijab and I can tell people about Islam. Without my hijab I doubt anyone would guess I’m Muslim,” Sarver said.

Not only does it represent their religion and culture, it also represents themselves and becomes a part of who they are.

“A lot of people think that a Muslim girl wearing a hijab is being forced to wear it, but what some people don’t realize is that cloth that covers her hair(hijab), to her, it represents her dignity, respect, and honor for herself,” Sophomore Wafa Khan said.

Following in her mother and sister’s footsteps, Sarver decided to wear her hijab a few years ago with their encouragement.

“My mom and my older sister started wearing it a few years back, and I felt like it would be good to follow on their footsteps,” Sarver said. “With some encouragement I was able to wear my hijab.”

Even though her mother is strict about her wearing her hijab, Sarver is happy to do so.

“My mom thinks that it’s important for women in islam to wear the head covering, and she is strict about it, but she has good reasons why so it’s worth it and I’m so happy I wear the hijab,” Sarver said.