McLean vs Langley basketball report

Sophomore Tucker Leggett drives deep into the Langley defense as the McLean boys try to claw their way back into a tight game. McLean went on to loose 46-60. (Photo by Imani McCormick)

Jack Stenzel, Reporter

The McLean and Langley basketball programs met for the second time this season on last Tuesday night at the Saxon’s home court.

Even before the game started, a serious atmosphere was cast upon the venue when both McLean and Langley students, fan, and faculty participated in a mesmerizing tribute to James Chen. The girls started off the night at 5:45 pm and Langley jumped out to an early lead in the first quarter. McLean battled back in a slow second quarter and halftime saw a Langley 18, McLean 14 scoreline. Langley dropped 10 points in the third while McLean edged out another 9. Heading into the fourth quarter McLean tightened up on defense and allowed only 7 points, while scoring 12. This tied the score up at 35 a piece. McLean dropped a crucial 3 points to Langley’s 2 in overtime to seal a 38 – 37 scoreline and a highly competitive win for the Highlander girls.

The boys came next with the tip-off at 7:30.  With energy flowing throughout the gym, the boys opened the scorebook with both sides scoring a total of 23 points in the first quarter. Langley then increased their lead in the second quarter. In the third, McLean claimed some momentum and put up 21 points. McLean’s Sean Senft led the Highlanders scoring 21 points for the game, but it wasn’t enough as the Saxons held on in the 4th quarter, putting up 14 points to clinch a 56-52 win over McLean.

The night resulted in Langley’s record moving to 14-4 while McLean improved to 9-10 for the season on the girl’s side. The McLean boys left still looking for their first win of the season, while Langley built on a successful 2016 -2017 campaign seeing them add to a 9 wins – 10 losses record.

Statistics courtesy of The Washington Post