McMatics kicks off its start as a math tutoring club

The club offers one-on-one math tutoring to students

One-on-one tutoring — Freshman Miranda Ma receives tutoring from fellow freshman Katherine Walker. (Photo courtesy of Philena Sun)

Christine Cheon, News Editor

Started as a way for students to receive simple math tutoring, McMatics had their first official meeting on Dec. 1. Ranging from Algebra 1 to AB Calculus, students can receive help in a variety of math subjects at the meetings which are held every Thursday in the Lecture Hall. Tutees can come to the meetings and be paired up with a tutor who is specifically trained to teach a certain subject.

“Tutees just show up and pair with a tutor. All they really need to do is sign in and we can keep track of who comes to the meetings and we can let their teachers know if their students stop by,” founder and president of McMatics Philena Sun said.

The club is a way for students to receive help outside of class and gives a chance to go over recent material taught in class. In addition, by allowing students individually to meet with a student tutor who has already learned the material and subject being tutored, students have the benefit of learning one-on-one.

“I think that [McMatics] gives students practice going to each other for help, and not just thinking they have to ask the teacher directly. Seeing students helping each other reinforces a good life skill,” mathematics teacher and McMatics sponsor Steven Walker said. “Hopefully [the club] is teaching students that they have many resources at their disposal, and that getting taught a topic from a different perspective may make a difficult concept not so difficult after all.”

The club also allows students to receive community service hours. Math Honor Society members are automatically inducted into the club as tutors and can receive hours through tutoring.

“I think [McMatics] has helped me understand what problems students might be encountering while trying to learn the material or solve problems,” junior and McMatics tutor Jane Lee said. “Being exposed and open to them helps me explain things in a better way that would be more easily understood the next time I come across a student that is having similar issues.”

With the amount of ease and flexibility the club provides for tutees and tutors, the club was originally started as a simple way for students to go over any concerns or difficulties in their math classes through one-on-one tutoring.

“The purpose of McMatics was to alleviate some stress on students who are struggling with their math courses. I think that by expanding the services and the number of people, we really need that role with helping people with their math woes.” Sun said.

Since its beginning, McMatics has been responsive to student demands with the growing number of tutors and tutees with each meeting.

“I really hope that we grow in the number of tutors and the number of tutees. I expect that it will grow over time as more people will know about it and know about the opportunity to receive any math help over time and receive the opportunity to interact with people,” Sun said.