College and Career Center hosts HIP Showcase

Seniors participating in the Highlander Internship Program present their experiences

On Friday, May 31, the College and Career Center hosted the Highlander Internship Program (HIP) Showcase, where seniors talked about what they did and what they learned. Each senior set up a trifold or presentation around the cafeteria, and visitors walked around and looked at their displays. All juniors were invited, as well as internship sponsors and everyone in the administration.

“We ask[ed] that they present three times to a student and at least once to a staff or sponsor,” Barnes said. “We get a lot of great feedback from the sponsors, so it’s really nice that the community enjoys it.”

HIP, created in 2017, is an opportunity for seniors to experience their interests in a professional setting and learn different aspects of a real world job. To participate, seniors must meet the requirements for attendance as well as an academic threshold. Afterwards, they must find their internship by reaching out to people in the community.

“We know students have senioritis, so this gives them something a little more fun, where they are outside the building for those two weeks,” college and career specialist Mary Barnes said. “It’s an opportunity not just to have the internship, but to go about networking to ask for that opportunity and to do something they enjoy.”

A lot of seniors choose to work in FCPS elementary schools or at Longfellow, helping teach subjects that interest them personally. A lot of others choose to work at local businesses, and some go as far as to work with the State Department. Depending on the internship, the hours are generally flexible. Many sponsors also provide opportunities year to year and are familiar with the program. They understand that participating in HIP prepares seniors for life after high school, as well as being a fun way to end their senior year.

“I really liked HIP,” senior Ava Liberatore said. “It was a good opportunity to get away from school and experience a real job.”