Softball takes the season into full swing

McLean varsity softball team enters spring season
Mclean+takes+the+win+once+and+again+in+the+2023+season.+
Maria Piacesi
Mclean takes the win once and again in the 2023 season.

McLean’s varsity softball team has had a strong start to their season, and with their big reputation to hold up from last year’s state title, they’re the ones to beat. All the girls have one main goal on the team, having fun and working their hardest to keep up the state title.

“This year, it’s a lot more intense after the varsity team won the state title,” junior right fielder Maria Piacesi said.

Going 11-2 last year, the pressure is up for this year. Only losing to Yorktown and Riverside, then winning the state title, their opponents are trying to take the win for the 2024 season.

“Being on the team this year is different from last year, mainly because we have a target on our back now,” senior first baseman Emory Hadden said. “We had an extraordinary season that most would call surprising last year.”

Along with all the hard work and effort these girls put into the team, they also know how to have fun. Whether that’s team dinners, Myrtle Beach trips or the team scavenger hunt, the softball team knows how to pair up the fun and productive work into their sport.

“Every year the varsity team holds a team sleepover which is a lot of fun,” Piacesi said. “We do a spring break trip to Myrtle Beach that is always super fun.”

With the countless hours spent together on and off the softball field. There are many memories made with the team. Especially when making the varsity softball team, where all the returning players make signs for new recruits and bring them to their doors to congratulate them.Most of the girls have the same favorite memories from the season. From start to finish, there is always room for memories to spread throughout the softball season.

“I love the scavenger hunt and sleepover we do at the beginning of the year and the spring break trip we take to Myrtle Beach,” Hadden said. “We went to Myrtle Beach for the first time since Covid last year and it was an amazing experience for the team.”

Having fun is a priority in any sport at McLean, through all seasons. But it’s good to set goals for yourself and your team to better improve yourself and your team as one.

“A goal for us as a team is to just play up to our potential this year,” Hadden said. “We can’t control outcomes which we have to recognize, but we can control how we work and perform.”