Amnesty International and Gender Sexuality Alliance to write for rights

McLean clubs call for protection of LGBTQ+ rights
@mcleangsa Instagram
McLean’s Amnesty International and Gender Sexuality Alliance will meet after school on April 3 to honor Nex Benedict and promote a future of compassion through a letter writing event.

Nex Benedict, a nonbinary teenager, was discovered deceased at their residence on Feb. 7 following an altercation that occurred the day prior, wherein a group of classmates attacked Nex in a restroom. Nex, a 16-year-old Indigenous individual who was known to use both he/him and they/them pronouns as confirmed by friends and family, had been subjected to consistent bullying at their Oklahoma high school due to their gender identity.
On April 3, McLean’s Amnesty International Club and the Gender Sexuality Alliance have decided to partner up in hopes of hosting a workshop where students will be encouraged to write letters to Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt to protect LGBTQ+ rights in honor of Nex Benedict.

“Nex Benedict’s case caught my eye because they were a high school student, and we are a high school club, so there is a level of personal connection that I feel could inspire students to take action,” club vice president Aria Colaco said. “The letter writing event is a good way for students to express their concerns about current anti-trans laws.”

Solely in the first quarter of 2024, state legislatures have introduced 523 bills targeting transgender individuals. These measures have had severe repercussions for transgender youth, with a Trevor Project survey revealing that nearly one-third of LGBTQ+ youth reported poor mental health attributed to anti-LGBTQ+ policies. Sue Benedict, the guardian of Nex, alleges that they began facing more intensive bullying at school following the enactment of a bill in 2022 by Stitt, which prohibited transgender and nonbinary youth from using bathrooms corresponding to their gender identities.

“LGBTQ+ rights need to be addressed more in order to protect kids like Nex. I’m proud to be part of a club that takes proactive steps to support marginalized communities,” senior Kylie Nguyen said. “This workshop is a tangible way for us to show solidarity and make a difference.”

I’m proud to be part of a club that takes proactive steps to support marginalized communities,”

— Kylie Nguyen

Attendees of the workshop can anticipate composing letters advocating for LGBTQ+ rights, alongside engaging in a baked goods exchange. Members who contribute baked goods will also have the opportunity to earn service hours.

“Students who attend the letter writing event can expect to hear a brief overview on the specifics of Nex’s case, and why it’s important to take action on it,” Colaco said. “For every letter they write to [Stitt], urging him to protect LGBTQ+ rights, they can do an exchange for a cookie or cupcake. Our goal is to get at least 50-60 letters to send out.”

As the letters will be dispatched to Oklahoma state officials, the members of both clubs can remain resolute in their commitment to defend human rights in the ongoing struggle for equality and justice.

“I hope our letters will serve as a reminder to policymakers that they have a responsibility to protect the rights of all individuals, regardless of their gender identity,” Nguyen said.