McLean wants watermelon

Mobile merge game becomes a hit among students
Students+play+I+Want+Watermelon+during+independent+work+time+after+finishing+classwork.+Its+the+go-to+activity+to+kill+time.+
Olivia Wood
Students play “I Want Watermelon” during independent work time after finishing classwork. It’s the go-to activity to kill time.

First it was Subway Surfers, then Geometry Dash. Now, the mobile game “I Want Watermelon” is the newest online fixation behind McLean students’ procrastination.

“I play [I Want Watermelon] all the time, even during class,” freshman Anna Polykoff said. “It’s so addicting. When I’m on my phone I [feel like I] have to play the watermelon game.”

The basis of the game is to merge identical fruits to create new ones, being careful not to stack them above the red line at the top of the screen. The highest fruit is a watermelon, and the ultimate goal is to make as many watermelons as possible.

Sounds simple, right?

“I’ve spent more than three hours a day on that stupid game,” junior Cara Goethert said. “It’s actually so addicting.”

After being initially released in May 2021, “I Want Watermelon” has only recently surfaced as a popular iPhone game. Although intended to be relaxing, the game has generated unparalleled addiction, and consequently, intense commitment.

“It’s captivating trying to get more watermelons, but I hate how frustrating it is when you have to restart after a long game,” sophomore Lucas Jones said.

Ever seen somebody violently shaking their phone in the middle of class? That’s a symptom of addiction to the watermelon game. If all else fails, a “shaker” option will appear in the top right of the screen, where you can choose to watch an excessively long advertisement to receive the ability to shake up your existing fruits.

“One of my teachers asked me what I was doing [while I was shaking my phone],” Goethert said. “I straight up told her I was shaking it for my watermelon game. Unfortunately, I still did not get a watermelon.”

Although the “shaker” button produces varying success, it serves as a last resort and final source of hope for players near the red line. Having it as an option keeps students invested in the game, increasing the amount of time they spend playing it.

“When I do my homework, I always procrastinate by playing the watermelon game first,” Polykoff said. “I also zone out during class and not pay attention [because I’m] playing the watermelon game.”

Playing “I Want Watermelon” distracts students from their schoolwork, leading to procrastination that negatively affects their sleep schedules. Despite these drawbacks, the game remains extremely popular.

Chances are you’ve seen someone playing the watermelon game in class, or have a friend who’s passed along their obsession by letting you play on their phone. With its uniquely addicting design, “I Want Watermelon” is rapidly spreading through McLean.

“I’ve influenced many of my friends into getting the [watermelon] game,” junior Maria Piacesi said. “It’s a super fun but casual game and I think everyone should get it.”