McLean varsity gymnastics to face West Potomac in season finisher

Gymnastics team will compete in their final meet of the regular season on Tuesday
Senior Emery Conroy does a backflip in her tumble sequence during her floor routine in a previous meet.

After an almost entirely victorious season, McLean’s varsity gymnastics team looks towards their final regular season meet scheduled for 6pm at West Potomac High School on Tuesday, Jan. 23.

“We’ve only lost one meet, so I’m pretty confident going into [Tuesday’s meet],” senior Maia Le said. “We haven’t competed against Mount Vernon yet, so we’ll be keeping an eye on them.”

While this is the last regular season meet, the gymnastics team will be attending districts the following week.

“It’s pretty nerve wracking that it’s the last meet because we really want to put our best out to be ready for districts,” Le said.

The team hopes to continue their success past the regular season.

“We usually do well at districts and send many teammates to regionals,” junior Sybella Simon said. “I think we have a great chance of going all the way to states this year, [since] the team has been working hard and are very motivated.”

This season has been triumphant for the Highlanders, as they have been rigorously working on new skills and technique to make them stand out in competitions.

“My coach has been really pushing us to get new skills this year to have a shot at districts,” Le said. “My proudest accomplishment [this season] is that I got a new skill that I was able to add to my floor routine, I added a punch front.”

As the season comes to a close, it is a bittersweet time for the team.

“It’s always really hard to let go of seniors,” Simon said. “This is the first group of seniors who have been there for me since I was a freshman… they are some of my best friends.”