Juniors win 2023 Powerpuff game

Senior and junior girls compete in intense match of flag-football
Senior competitors run out to the field, carrying the spirit of the Highlanders.

With 50 seconds left on the clock at the end of the second half, junior Calypso Rolly sprints down the field 99 yards and scores a touchdown, leading the juniors to a 18-6 victory against the seniors.
Powerpuff is an annual event organized by McLeadership, where juniors and seniors girls compete in a flag-football event, in preparation for homecoming weekend. Practices ran starting from the end of September, with five male coaches from each grade.

“We all went to practices and everyone was participating. We came with energy and were ready to go,” said junior Gabe Pegues, one of the five coaches for the juniors.
The game started with heavy competition, as both the junior and senior teams made various incomplete passes. With six minutes left of the first half, juniors scored a touchdown, leading the juniors 6-0.
Following more incomplete passes, and various thrown flags, seniors attempted to tie the score. With 11 seconds left on the clock, senior Catherine Hughes scored a touchdown, ending the first half with a tie of 6-6.
“It was amazing to see Catherine pick up that ball even though we all almost thought it was out,” senior Habeeba Khan said.
The second half of the match began, and tensions rose between the juniors and seniors as they both tried to break the tie.
“The coaches made really good plays [during the game] and they emphasized us memorizing them,” junior Hailey Simpson said.
With four minutes left on the clock, juniors scored a touchdown and took the lead of 12-6. Seniors attempted to tie the game again, but passes made from both senior Bella Coates and senior Mary Johnson were declared incomplete.
With 50 seconds left of the game, junior Calypso Rolly took possession of the ball and ran 99 yards, ending the game with the juniors taking the lead of 18-6.
“There were just people behind me chasing me and I was scared and just kept running and sprinting in hopes that they wouldn’t catch up,” junior Calypso Rolly said. “It was a pretty good game, it felt like we dominated the whole time and we shut down the seniors.”
Seniors won the Powerpuff game for the past two years, but the juniors this year were victorious in this intense match.
“We have the best team and best class in the school, and the energy was just great so it just made sense that we would win,” Pegues said.