Students prepare for prom

McLean is buzzing with pre-prom excitement

Sandra Cheng

Junior Neave Crean shows off her new hair extensions and fake tan right before the big day.

In the week leading up to prom, students are making efforts to get ready for the big night. Prom this year is themed after the American classic, The Great Gatsby, and will be held at the Falls Church Marriott from 8:00-11:30 pm.

Between hair, nails, makeup, choosing the right dress or suit, corsages, shoes, and all the extra planning needed for dinner and pictures, students have their hands full in the weeks leading up to the event.

“I got [hair] extensions and I self-tanned two days in advance, and I am getting a mani-pedi, along with making my boyfriend get a mani-pedi, so he’s also prepared,” junior Neave Crean said. “I’ve even practiced my make up a week in advance.”

With the enormous flow of students getting their nails done, nail salons around McLean are quickly getting booked up.

“I plan on getting my nails done tonight, something new for prom to match my dress,” junior Riley O’Donnell said. “Turns out everyone had the same idea, because the nail place I normally go to, Wisteria Nails, is booked completely from 1-5 pm today because everyone is getting their nails done for prom.”

For most juniors planning to attend prom for the first time, it is important to be prepared. New prom-goers are somewhat anxious about the big night, as it is their first time.

“I want to make sure that everything goes according to plan so then I don’t have to stress,” Crean said.

However, not all McLean students are stressed about prom. Some choose to take a more relaxed approach and worry about their prom looks closer to the date. This was more so the case for guys, whose prom approach is much more laid back.

“All I needed to do was put on a suit and show up,” senior Josh John said.

While students have varied their approaches in preparation for prom, the hype for it is fairly consistent throughout.

“I am looking forward to getting ready with my friends before prom,” O’Donnell said. “A few of my friends are coming over and we are all going to get ready together.”

Prom is a time for McLean students to celebrate the ending of the school year and enjoy themselves. The excitement that comes from a school dance, regardless of the time it might take to prepare, is a special and important aspect of high school.

“It’s one of the most important social events for school throughout the year. You only get to experience [it] twice in your whole high school career,” Crean said.