Do PSAT memes count as cheating?

Is the College Board’s effort to remove PSAT memes worth the hassle?

Jackson Clayton, Reporter

Photo Illustration by Jackson Clayton
Students working on computers

Each year during the PSAT, high school students are forced listen to their test proctors drone on about how “they may not share any of the questions or answers with other students.” Right after the PSAT, however, a wave of memes flood the internet, while the school board tries to take them down, but is it worth the effort?

On Oct.10, The College Board posted on Twitter asking for students not to share PSAT content online, yet students proceeded to fill the comments with memes relating to 2018 PSAT questions.

Memes similar to these have been posted every year since October of 2013, but they started gaining popularity in 2015. The majority of them, however, are quite vague and don’t give away questions or their answers, and are unlikely to help a student who is taking the test late.

The College Board does have the right to fear these memes, as they may get out of hand and could give an advantage to students who take the test late, but the College board will probably never be able to completely eliminate all of these memes, because, as students have been told, once something is posted on the internet, it will be there forever and it would probably be way too time consuming to find the identity of the accounts who share PSAT content online and cancel their scores.