The lost texts(books)

The unwanted shift towards online textbooks

What+for+many+is+their+only+resource+and+reference+provided+by+instructors+as+exam+season+approaches.+
What for many is their only resource and reference provided by instructors as exam season approaches.

Ingrid Morse

Ingrid Morse

Ingrid Morse, Editor-In-Chief

I have come to the conclusion that someone, somewhere, has made a grievous error. One which has been making waves in recent years.

A few years ago, it seems the field of education banded together and decided that it would be a good idea to move many textbooks online.

The main argument in favor of online databases and textbooks is that it would be easier for students to have an online textbook. For many that is not the case however.

“I don’t always have access to internet or computers, and I do a lot of my homework ‘on the go’. I think it is really wrong that teachers are just assuming that I have these resources, resources which I now with the prevalence of online textbooks,  I need to succeed” senior Sarah Kolyani said.

Yes the library is open for about an hour after school a few days a week, but these few offered opportunities do not fulfill the need for several hours of concentrated studying many students are expected to put into their studies.

The student is also in a bind if their computer crashes. Most teachers don’t excuse that ‘excuse.’

“I have definitely been in that position,” senior Jake Wadle said. “And it sucks because there really is nothing you can do about it.”

Students have been forced down this avenue of learning that they never opted for. Until such a time as our cries are heard, those of us tied to the old ways will continue to be forced to awkwardly ask teachers at the start of the school year to check-out a well-loved tangible textbook.