McLean jazz band reveals audition results

Jazz Band members listen carefully to the audition results (photo by Victoria Mollmann)

Victoria Mollmann, Reporter

This Thursday Oct. 31, students waited anxiously for the jazz auditions results. The jazz band, which under the direction of Scott Weinhold, usually performs at school events, competitions, music festivals and local venues, is welcoming new and returning members for the year, to keep their successful reputation.

McLean’s jazz program has shared the stage with The United States Air Force Airmen of Note, The United States Army Jazz Ambassadors and The United States Navy Commodores, among others. It has also won first place in various festivals in South Carolina, Massachusetts and Florida. Locally, the jazz ensemble placed top three at the Chantilly Annual Jazz Invitational in 2003, 2007, 2008, and 2012.

Trying to be a part of the band required auditions for both returning and new members. Students who wanted to audition had to record themselves playing their respective instruments and submit the video through Google Classroom.

“I started practicing a few days [before], and every day I kept trying to make my vocals sound better.” senior Miyu Oe said “I felt really nervous as I had never been in a Jazz band before, but also really excited to become a member because I fell in love with it after I watched them perform last December.”

There are four different jazz opportunities for students to participate in. The first one being the jazz ensemble from beginners to advanced players who are enrolled in a band class; the jazz lab band, for beginners to intermediate players; the jazz combo, which focuses on improvisation for more advanced participants; and finally the jazz saxophone quarter, which is also for more advanced saxophonists.

The first meeting happened on Oct. 31, when members found out which group of the Jazz Band they got into. The first meeting was a chance for students to get to know each other and to learn the expectations of the band. Everyone was looking forward to the beginning of the rehearsals.

“I can’t wait to start working on materials and to do performances in front of the school”, Oe added.