Science National Honors Society Begins

First Meeting of the 2019-2020 School Year Commences

October 14, 2019

Photo taken by Ariana Elahi

SCIENCE IT UP— Leaders of the Science National Honors Society line up after the end of their first meeting. Seniors Gloria Sun and Marina Wang head and direct SNHS.

McLean High School’s Science National Honors Society (SNHS) held its first official meeting in the lecture hall, right after school on Wednesday, Oct. 11. 

SNHS was founded in the school year of 2018-2019 by three seniors who graduated last year and Gloria Sun who is a senior this year. Even with such a new society the club received 190 applicants and accepted 170. 

“I expected around two hundred applicants, so 190 was pretty close,” said senior Gloria Sun, co-president of SNHS.

This year the club presidents and officers hope to push SNHS to new heights by giving students more opportunities to learn science and get more service hours.

“We are thinking about providing more service opportunities,” said senior Marina Wang, co-president of SNHS. “Last year because it was our first year, there were [fewer] projects to fulfill the needs and hour requirements… This year, we are looking to diversify the projects that members can do.” 

The club is expected to grow at this rate as new ideas and projects are implemented. A few of the projects include tutoring at various schools including McLean, Kent Gardens, and Westgate. 

“We have greenhouse [projects] starting up, we have a compost tumbler, along with tutoring,” said Wang. “We’re looking to also have opportunities where women members can expose themselves to the science field and listen to guest speakers talk about their scientific research or how they got to their majors.”

Leaders of this organization say this is a very unique society because everything is student-led. Through this, the presidents hope that students can express their interests and develop their passions for science.