U.S High School Diplomats provides students with international relations experience

Alex Brunner, Reporter

Have you ever dreamed of Japan? Wanted to stay at one of America’s most prestigious universities? Or wanted to make over 80 new friends from all around the world? Look no further than High School Diplomats.

Who

40 American and 40 Japanese Students.

What

The High School Diplomats program is a Japanese exchange program where each American is paired up with one Japanese student.

The program consists of daily activities, including:

• Japanese festival where everyone wears a kimono and participates in traditional Japanese dances and indulges in Japanese cuisine
  • Diplomat talks to discuss world issues concerning the two countries relations
  • Japanese language classes
  • Independence Day where the American students show the Japanese a typical 4th of July Celebration
  • Presentations on Japanese and American society and government
  • Spirit days (Haunted House for Halloween, Olympic day etc.)
  • Traditional Raijo Tai So (Japanese morning stretching)
  • Japanese Karaoke night and the talent show
  • Flag exchange to close off the week

Where

Princeton University

When

Tuesday, July 25th – Saturday, August 5th, 2017

Why

HSD was a life changing experience for me. In the course of 10 days, I had made over 80 new friends that I’ve kept in touch with ever since the program ended (We have weekly Skype calls). Because of HSD, I can now speak basic Japanese and understand how important body language is important to Japanese conversation. My roommate and I are best friend’s HSD allowed me to realize what goes into creating a connection with someone from another culture that I had just met, and that is invaluable.

How to Apply

• Must be Sophomore or Junior to apply
  • Visit http://www.highschooldiplomats.com/ for the online application
  • Deadline is January 8th, 2017
  • Applicants who are finalists will be selected for the final interview round which will take place from mid-February to early March
  • Applicants will be notified in mid-April if they were selected