Has The Walking Dead gone too far?

Warning: Spoiler Alert*

The Walking Dead, a show about a group of people enduring the zombie apocalypse has a huge following, and the network has been trying to keep it that way. This means more violence and gore and more sexual interactions.  The first and second seasons were light on the sex and gore, doing fast flashes and quick cuts as a zombie has a meal or someone is about to engage in “the act.” However, in the third season they have seriously amped up the gore and sex, because everyone knows that extreme carnage and topless women will not only disturb an audience but keep them watching. It is not difficult to stomach watching a zombie get sliced in half with a sword, but once you see a polite old man get his leg hacked off with an axe you start to question how far the writers will go and how much it really complements the show.

Personally, I do not enjoy watching a woman get a C-section with a small pocketknife, no matter how much I hate her character. In the episodes leading up to the mid-season finale, viewers watch as characters are forced to undress as a form of torture to release information and have sex to boost notoriety.  Everyone who is planning on watching the mid-season finale will also enjoy seeing someone get a nice shard of glass to the eye and then have to watch him suffer with it still in place. How much further the writers will go in the second half of the third season remains to be seen, but I’m not sure how much more I can take.

The second half of the third season starts February 2013.