Album Review: Troye Sivan

Obtained from Google Images under a Creative Commons license.

4 stars:

Obtained through Google Images under a creative commons license.

YouTube has become a platform for many artists to post covers and original songs in the hopes of getting discovered. Troye Sivan, started his YouTube channel with the same aspirations and began to upload cover songs. He began to act in movies such as the 2009 X-Men’s Wolverine, and later branched out with his first volgging video “Introductions”. He quickly gained popularity eventually landing a record deal and soon after released a single off his EP TRXYE (his first through a major record deal).

I have been watching Sivan’s videos since he started vlogging, and have listened to the title song “Happy Little Pill” on TRXYE but I never took the time to listen to the full album. His videos are always enjoyable and his personality is evident in them all, so I was hoping that this would show through in his music.

I was pleasantly surprised by this album, it’s the perfect mix a catchy tune with lyrics that come from the heart. Sivan’s personality can be heard in every note of music. Each lyric sounds like him and every word feels deeply personal.

Although I was expecting this album to be like any other produced pop album, a catchy beat with lyrics that are easy to remember, it’s not like that in the best of ways. Sivan has figureGIF obtained via BuzzFeedd out how to make music appealing and add a personal layer that is sure to touch the heart of many listeners.

Troye Sivan Youtube

Troye Sivan Vevo