Spring Sports: Wrap-Up

Image+obtained+via+Naomi+Jaffe+
Image obtained via Naomi Jaffe

By: Sanskriti Neupane and Anjalie Chauhan

Soccer:

Image obtained via Naomi Jaffe
Image courtesy of Naomi Jaffe
Twelve wins, and zero losses. The McLean varsity women’s soccer team was a force to be reckoned with this year, staying undefeated throughout the season.

“As a team we were very successful and we were a very close group on and off the field. I think our team dynamic really contributed to our success,” sophomore defender Naomi Jaffe said.

Although the men’s team had a tough start to the season after many players graduated last year, they won games against top ten teams and Langley.

“As the season progressed we became more determined and motivated to make this season a great one,” junior Howard Charles said.

Track and Field:
There are many different events in Track: long distance, sprints, high jump, long jump, and many more. McLean regularly competes in many of these events and succeeds at all.

This year, the Spring Track Team had a great season with athletes reaching regionals, states and even nationals.

“We had many athletes compete at the regional and state level, and our high jumper, James Carver even got second at states and qualified for nationals! I’d attribute our success to the great coaches, tough workouts, and dedication from runners on the team,” senior Jason Sprouls said.

Crew:

Image obtained via lore on flickr
Image courtesy of lore on flickr

For many boats, the last race of the season is Stotesbury in Philadelphia, the world’s largest High School regatta with almost 6,000 participants. The McLean women’s first 8, and the men’s first four had another race left, nationals.

After coming in second at states, the women’s boat had high hopes for nationals.

“At states and nationals, I think everyone was hoping we would do better, but in retrospect, 2nd in the state and 6th in the nation is not bad at all,” junior rower Kaela Wilbur said.

The boat exceeded expectations, racing four times in two days and placing sixth at nationals, the only women’s boat in the area to reach finals.

“Our season has been very successful, I think more so than in previous years there has been a sense of trust and teamwork in our boat contributing to this success,” Wilbur said.

The men’s first four also had a successful season, getting first at states in Petite finals and 4th in their heat at nationals. The boat missed out on semi finals but the athletes were proud of their season.

“Having a strong will to succeed has done us well,” senior captain David Russell said.

Tennis:
The first game of the season for the varsity men’s tennis team was against Langley. Unfortunately, after tough games McLean lost, four to five. After that, the varsity tennis team had a great season wining twelve of their sixteen games during the season.

“We made a lot of improvement… and even beat some strong teams in the regional tournament,” senior Niel Ketkar said.

Lacrosse:

The Lacrosse team at McLean always does well. This year, it did even better than expected with the women’s varsity team having a phenomenal season.

“We had the best season we’ve had in about a decade…we had a lot of returning players who were very talented and we brought in six freshman… and they worked very well together,” Head coach Caroline Braswell said.

The men’s varsity team also experienced one of the most successful seasons in their category in McLean history. They got 14 wins and just 3 losses.

“We had one of the best seasons in McLean lacrosse history, we beat Langley, which is the the first time in McLean lacrosse history,” sophomore Caleb Roderiques said.

Softball:

The Softball team led another successful season this year. They played in 24 games, unable to win just two of them.

“Our season was really amazing this year. We probably should have gone farther in the tournament but you get what you get,” sophomore Abby Prather said.

They were knocked out of sudden death tournament sooner than they hoped to be. However they did not let the loss turn the aura of their successful season sour.