McLean Hockey skates to the conference title

By Ethan Cherry and Nora Hashem

Reporters

As February passes by and winter sports come to a close, McLean Hockey finds itself in uncharted territory. For the first time in four years Mclean Hockey has won the conference title. This accomplishment has evaded this year’s graduating class until this year.

On February 6th,  McLean took on Oakton with the title on the line. With the score 3-4, McLean held a slight lead. In the final minutes Jordan Blum raced up the ice and scored top left to put the game out of reach for his opponents, securing the title for his team.

“I knew I had to score. My team was depending on me. I visualized the puck going through the net and I closed my eyes,” said Blum.

Blum who plays left wing is one of three all stars on McLean’s hockey team. The other two all stars were teammates Phip Waugh a freshman winger and Dev Dorion a junior defensemen. With Blum’s final goal in the Oakton game he was able to surpass teammate Waugh for most points on the team with twenty.

“I think we had a great group of guys this year and really found a way to mesh,” said Dorion. Dorion like Blum and many of the other players have played the sport since a young age.

With the current makeup of the team consisting of 15, including the three all stars. McLean is set-up for sustained success. This makes the team, no longer rewarding players with varsity letters, appealing as a club for lovers of the sport.

Hockey
McLean Hockey player Aidan Phipps