NBA awards come down to the wire

Warriors guard Stephen Curry handles the ball. Curry is locked in a race for the Most Valuable Player award, which will be presented during the playoffs in several weeks.
Warriors guard Stephen Curry handles the ball. Curry is having a career-best season and competing for the MVP award, which will be presented during the playoffs in several weeks. (Photo obtained via Keith Allison on Flickr under a Creative Commons license)

As the NBA regular season comes to a close and the with the playoffs just around the corner, it’s time to give out The Highlander’s regular season awards.

Most Valuable Player: Stephen Curry, Warriors

Many would argue that the Rockets’ James Harden has had an equally impressive season, but Curry is a fan favorite, and the best player on the league’s top team. While engineering frequent blowout victories, he often sits out much of the fourth quarter, yet he still scores nearly 24 points per game to go along with 7.8 assists. He recently broke his own record for 3 pointers made in a season, and now leads the undisputed best team in basketball into the playoffs.

Rookie of the Year: Andrew Wiggins, Timberwolves

Wiggins drew comparisons to some of the all time greats when he was drafted with the number 1 overall draft pick out of Kansas, and he has delivered some astonishing displays of athleticism in his debut season.

Anthony Davis has been the engine that drives the New Orleans Pelicans. Davis is one of the league's best scorers and rebounders, and is now a premier defender. (Photo courtesy of Keith Allison)
Anthony Davis has been the engine that drives the New Orleans Pelicans this season. Davis has emerged as one of the league’s best scorers and rebounders, and is now a premier defender. (Photo obtained via Keith Allison on Flickr under a Creative Commons license)

Defensive Player of the Year: Anthony Davis, Pelicans

Davis has essentially carried the Pelicans to the brink of the playoffs, and his defensive talent is vital to their success. He blocks nearly 3 shots per game and grabs 7.7 defensive rebounds. He also adds in 1.45 steals per game, very impressive for a 6’11” power forward who spends much of his time directly under the basket.

Most Improved Player: Jimmy Butler, Bulls

With former MVP Derrick Rose missing extensive time due to injury, Butler has stepped into a starring role on the Bulls. His defense is yet again top notch, and his offensive game has vastly improved, scoring at a rate of 20.1 points per game.

Coach of the Year: Mike Budenholzer, Hawks

A former assistant of legendary Spurs coach Greg Popovich, Budenholzer has led the Hawks to the best record in the East, with essentially the same roster as last year’s 8th ranked team. Budenholzer encouraged his team to take on an unselfish, pass-first mentality, and the result was four Hawks participating in the All-Star game in February.