Lego Movie Entertains Audiences of All Ages

The Lego Movie features Emmet, voiced by Chris Pratt. After being donned as “The Special” Emmet embarks on a journey to overthrow Lord Business’ tyranical regime.
The Lego Movie features Emmet, voiced by Chris Pratt. After being donned as "The Special" Emmet embarks on a journey to overthrow Lord Business' tyranical regime.

The Lego movie traces the story of Emmet, an ordinary Lego construction worker who finds himself at the center of a rebellion against President Business and the conformist Lego society.  President Business’s evil plot to literally Krazy Glue society into his ideal form is opposed only by the master builders, a group of creative non conformists who seek to break down the boundaries that President Business has created.  Led by Vitruvius, played by Morgan Freeman, the  master builders seize on Emmet as the Special, the prophesied savior of the Lego universe, and embark on a treacherous and psychedelic journey.

The Lego movie has a variety of stars and good writing, so it does not matter that the story is nonsensical and silly. Part typical toy movie, part toy movie spoof, the Lego movie is genuinely funny, with physical humor for kids and crazy political humor for adults.

Despite being a children’s movie designed to sell toys, the Lego movie includes a wealth of subtext to appeal to older viewers.  First, there is the strange, overbearing political commentary.  The attacks on pop culture, capitalism, government, and modern society in general are pretty funny and definitely adds to the enjoyment of older viewers.  Then, there is the nostalgia that is aimed at adults who used to play with legos and now have children they can buy legos for.

Overall, the Lego movie is an enjoyable experience that left me with the conflicting urges to overthrow capitalist society and to go out and buy more Lego’s.