Winter Olympic recap: What’s happened at the Sochi games so far

courtesy free.ed.gov
courtesy free.ed.gov
The United States winter Olympic team enters at the opening ceremony in Sochi, Russia. Courtesy of defense.gov.

With less than a week left in the Winter Olympic games at Sochi, the United States, as of Wednesday, February 19th, has twenty-three medals in total, and stands in third place in the leaderboard. The US has seven gold, five silver and eleven bronze medals, with the leader in gold medals being Norway, currently with a total of 9. Here is a recap of how the United States has been doing so far at some of the events.

Figure Skating

Medals for four ice skating events in Sochi have been awarded thus far. In the team event, the United States took the bronze, and team USA’s Meryl Davis and Charlie White took home the gold medal for Ice Dance. America failed to medal at either the Men’s Free Skating event or the Pairs Free Skating event, but still have a chance to medal in the Ladies Free Skating final, to be held February 20th.

Ice Hockey

No medals have been awarded for ice hockey in Sochi yet. The women’s gold medal game, between Canada and the United States is scheduled for February 20th, while the men’s gold medal game, between two teams that are not yet known at this time, takes place February 23rd. One can next see the United States men’s team play in the quarterfinals, February 19th.

Alpine Skiing

In Skiing, American Julia Mancuso took home the bronze in the Women’s Super Combined slalom, while in the Men’s Super G, team USA took home silver and bronze, won by Andrew Weibrecht and Bode Miller respectively. Additionally, American Ted Ligety took home gold in the Men’s Giant Slalom.  Next up is the Slalom, which takes place on February 21st, and 22nd.

Snowboard

By far the United States’ best event, America has claimed three snowboarding gold medals, and five overall.  Sage Kotsenburg claimed gold in the Men’s Slopestyle finals, Jamie Anderson received her gold in the Ladies’ Slopestyle finals, and Kaitlyn Farrington and Kelly Clark took home gold and bronze respectively in the Ladies’ Halfpipe finals. Alex Deibold took bronze in the Men’s Snowboard Cross Finals. Still to come are the Giant and Parallel Slalom events.

Freestyle Skiing

Freestyle skiing has proved to be a big event at the Olympics for the United States. Hannah Kearney took home the bronze in Ladies’ Moguls, while Devin Logan took silver at the Ladies’ Ski Slopestyle Final. Team USA swept the podium for Men’s Ski Slopestyle, with Nicholas Goepper taking bronze, Gus Kenworthy taking silver, and Joss Christensen winning gold. In the Ski Halfpipe event, American David Wise took gold. Next up are the Ski Cross finals.

Skeleton

America took home two medals in this terrifying sport, which involves sliding headfirst down an icy track on a small sled, reaching speeds of up to eighty miles per hour, with nothing but a helmet to protect you. Noelle Pikus-Pace took home silver in the women’s event, while Matthew Antoine took home bronze in the men’s event.