Wrestling Team Begins New Season

Connor Myers faces off. Each competitor in the Fairfax Classic attempts to reach one of the top 8 spots.

On Friday, December 6th and Saturday, December 7th, McLean competed in the Fairfax classic. Up against 32 other teams, McLean placed three team members: Matt McCune, Brendan Grammes, and Connor Grammes, who placesd 8th , 3rd and 4th respectively. This is a good start for McLean, and hopefully the wrestling team will have many more victories to come.

After competing last year in districts, the McLean Varsity Wrestling Team began to plan their goals for the next season. As that season has now begun, they are more ready than ever to take it to the next level.

Since that defining moment of the season, a lot has changed. The team refurbished their practice room, and the majority of the team is now underclassmen and juniors, with Team Captain Omar Jacobs being the only senior. Six seniors graduated last year, so Jacobs has big shoes to fill.

One thing is for sure, the team is full of vigor and is ready to take on their challenge. Two freshmen, Gavin Legg and Brendan Grammes “have many years of experience… [and] will continue improving and hopefully do very well this season” Jacobs says.

Coach Kenneth Jackson has brought the team a long way, this being his sixth season coaching wrestling. “I am a positive coach but expect for everyone to perform at their highest level. Effort is the most important thing in our room, whether it’s practice or a match full effort must be given at all times. As long as they put out the effort we can’t get upset with the results,” Jackson says.

However the team still has a long way to go, and still faces many hurdles. “Getting our lineup set has been a challenge this season. Due to injuries and weight control it has been tough getting a set line up,” Jackson says. “The ultimate goal is to have everyone peak at the same time, Conference, Region and States.”