Top 3 ways to keep a New Year’s resolution

When the new year arrives, many people decide to make New Year’s resolutions. Whether it be losing weight, procrastinating less, or learning something new, almost everyone has some aspect of their life they want to improve. Here are some ways that make sticking to that resolution less of a struggle so that those resolutions won’t be forgotten by the end of January.

1. Don’t get discouraged

It’s impossible to perfect all the time, especially when it comes to New Year’s resolutions. Accept that there will be occasional slip ups in the beginning, but don’t use it as an excuse to give up completely. It only takes 21 days to form a habit, so getting through those first three weeks is crucial.

1
photo courtesy of blog.mass.gov

2. Get a friend involved

Sticking to a resolution becomes easier when there’s someone else going through it as well. For example, going to the gym with a friend can be more fun than going alone. The added support makes a big difference when it comes to those tough times.

3. Keep track of progress

Keep some kind of record of any progress made is a great way to evaluate. It can be used as a recap of things accomplished and a way to watch out for things that can be improved upon. Having that record can be helpful since it serves as a reminder that progress is being made everyday.

2
photo courtesy of treasurydirect.gov