FCPS should give more snow days

photo courtesy of Olivier BAQUET
photo courtesy of Olivier BAQUET

After the snow, freezing rain, and unbelievably cold temperatures, McLean High School and the rest of Fairfax County Public Schools does not have any snow days  left. Unfortunately, this means that any other days missed for bad weather will likely result in holidays being taken away.

Normally, this would be quite reasonable if the weather during the winter was consistent here in Northern Virginia. However, it seems that winter weather tends to be unpredictable. One year, we might get an incredibly frigid winter with a foot of snow, but the next, there will be none at all.

What FCPS needs to realize is that taking away holidays or adding days to the end of the school year is not an effective solution.  Taking away holidays can create long periods of time without a well-deserved break for students, while adding days on the very end of the school year could result in many students just going to school and sitting in a desk being completely unproductive.

As a solution, FCPS should permit more snow days so that if we have a particularly horrible winter one year, there won’t be any worries about losing any precious long weekends.