McLean science students travel to Florida for Marine Lab field trip

Students from Environmental Science, Geosystems and Oceanography classes spend an immersive weekend in Florida

While most McLean students spent the weekend completing homework assignments, a group of science students traveled to Florida for an immersive learning experience.

Students departed for the Marine Lab field trip on Thursday, March 5, and will arrive home on March 8. Not only will participants return to school with sunburnt skin, but with memories that will last a lifetime.

According to the Marine Lab, their mission is to “Use education and adventure in the Florida Keys marine ecosystem to foster environmental awareness and stewardship on a local, regional, and global scale.”

Students were pushed out of their learning comfort zones, as their classroom was the sea itself. Key Largo, the body of water occupied by McLean students, is protected by John Pennekamp State Park, Everglades National Park, and the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.

The Marine Lab is located in Key Largo, Florida. Key Largo is a central location, surrounded by protected bodies of water.

“My favorite part about the Marine Lab was the snorkeling,” senior Mehr Sahgal said. By coming face-to-face with the ecosystem itself, students had the ability to learn about ecological concepts and observe interactions and behavior first hand.

The average day for students consisted of two parts. The day typically began with a snorkel, which transitioned into an instructor-led discussion connecting observations made during the snorkel with ecological concepts.

The lab was also active during the evenings, which introduced students to concepts that would be explored the following day.

"I learned so much about the environment and how to protect its ecosystems" Sabrina Kianni

“The Marine Lab was so much fun,” junior Sabrina Kianni said. “I learned so much about the environment and how to protect its ecosystems.”

Marine Lab Promo Video