Senior Skip Day: to skip or not to skip?

Students and teachers discuss their opinions on Senior Skip Day

This+is+the+attendance+office+in+the+main+office.+All+the+absences+are+tracked+here.+

Ally Liu

This is the attendance office in the main office. All the absences are tracked here.

Ally Liu, Reporter

Senior Skip Day, a day where seniors decide to skip school, took place last week on Oct. 15. Traditionally, Senior Skip Day takes place the Monday after prom. In McLean, it occurred on the awkward Tuesday in between Columbus Day and PSAT day. 

Jeff Brocketti, a physics teacher at McLean, was both surprised and not surprised at who skipped. 

“If people have an excuse to miss school, then I’m surprised they don’t take it. But at the same time there’s my AP classes and those classes usually tend to show up,” Brocketti said.  

Emily Panek, a senior, didn’t skip for that reason. 

“I had a lot of important classes that day, like, a few of my AP classes,” Panek said. 

However, another big reason Panek didn’t skip was because of her parents. 

“I don’t really have an opinion on [Senior Skip Day] because it’s like you either do it or you don’t. It depends on what your parents can let you do and not do,” Panek said. 

Alex Bahmanyar, a senior who did skip, doesn’t regret his decision. 

“I think [Senior Skip Day] is a good institution. I fully support it,” Bahmanyar said. 

When it comes to other people, Bahmanyar recommends that they do what they think is the best decision. Brocketti believes that whatever decision people make, they should accept the consequences. 

“If you’re going to participate in Senior Skip Day, you should actually follow through with the skip part of it, and don’t have your parents just call it in and excuse it. Accept the consequences, and if you miss a test or quiz, then you miss a test or quiz,” Brocketti said. “Not that I’m condoning skipping school, but if you’re going to do it, then it should be a skip day, not a have-your-parents-call-in-and-excuse-it day.”

Senior Naod Hadgu has a more radical opinion. 

“The kids that skip school are the liberals. And they also want free education,” Hadgu said.